Sunday, September 1, 2013

100 Prints Project #62 - Clean up your mess


A couple of weeks ago I took a workshop with ColdSnap photography.  It was a road trip workshop which meant that we knew where we were going to sleep each night, but everything in between was pretty spontaneous.  We drove through small towns on minimum maintenance roads and stopped to shoot photos when something inspired us or when we just had to get out of the car to stretch our legs.  We visited county fairs in 3 towns and not only got a taste of the fair food, but also the hospitality of the people.  I grew up in a small town.  Traveling those back roads made me a bit nostalgic and not just a little homesick.  I got to wondering if it's true that you really can't go home again.  Home was the place where, among many other things, someone was there to make sure you cleaned up your messes - whether you wanted to or not.  As an adult my messes have become a bit more complicated and harder to clean up.  The stakes are certainly higher than leaving candy wrappers in the back seat of my father's car or the heap of clothes at the end of my bed at the end of each week.  In one of the towns we passed through we stopped to shoot a construction site.  This graffiti caught my eye and got me thinking about messes.  Funny how miles and miles of gravel will do that to a person.

2 comments:

  1. I just love this shot Jane. Sounds like you had quite the experience on this trip and your right . . . I think messes get harder to clean up, especially as we get older. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jane, any chance I could buy a 5"x7" copy of this from you? I'd love to have it in my art room.

    ReplyDelete