Sunday, December 2, 2012

100 Prints Project #49 - Valor at Rest #1


The fog rolled in over night and this morning it was like looking at the world through an opaque lens.  I grabbed my gear and headed over to Fort Snelling National Cemetery, which is nearby.  I ride past the cemetery every morning on the light rail and can see lots of images in my head, but when I actually get there with my camera it is a place that is nothing but a huge compositional challenge for me.  This morning was no different.  By the time I arrived some of the fog had started to lift and the cemetery was busy with visitor cars and cemetery vehicles placing wreaths on some of the grave markers.  I became flustered and nervous, saw nothing but visual clutter and my mood became pretty discouraged.  This image is a good reflection of how I was feeling.  It was taken at ISO 1600 to give it some semblance of grain and then toned and darkened heavily in Photoshop.  If you're interested in the other technical details, my 70-200mm 2.8 with my 2x extender was mounted firmly on my tripod with an exposure of 1/3000 at f5.6.  I have a couple more that I took today that I might post later this week.

6 comments:

  1. I love that you got out to make photos!! And love that you pushed past the nerves! (I've gone home one a few occasions when I should have done what you did).

    It's a very moving image. I think you did a great job with composition, as there is no sense of clutter at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH to you for getting out and taking some photos. I love the image and hope to see more from your outing today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A compositional challenge it may be but I'd say you conquored it. Moving image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa Van Heel MathreDecember 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM

    Beautiful image. Wonderful composition! Love the tones!

    ReplyDelete