Sunday, July 15, 2012

100 Prints Project #45

We've just returned from a week long tent camping trip up at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park along the north shore of Lake Superior. It was much warmer than expected as it's usually much cooler near the lake so I think I watched the movie in the lighthouse visitor center about 100 times just to be in the air conditioning. It made me to go my happy place where we have visited in the winter and this image came to mind. This was taken on the beach on Park Point in Duluth, MN during a visit in February where the ice had built up in waves on the lake. I did some contrast and color manipulations in Photoshop to bring out the texture of the sand and to give it kind of a surreal look. I hope you enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. An icy cold image for an unsufferably hot day. Love the texture of the sand and the strong diagonal line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so happy to see you had another photo posted here. I'm glad for dose of icy too! lol.

    I have to ask... are you actually making prints for this series? Or are these images you would print? I hope you're making actual prints... I never do, and am trying to work up the nerve/inspiration to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the simplicity of the scene and image. Wonderful soft color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. I appreciate your comments and encouragement to continue the project.

    Erin, I am making prints for this series. I don't post them to the blog until I have something I would consider a finished print in my hand. I bought an Epson 3880 last year and then didn't really make use of it for almost 6 months. This series was a great way for me to learn how to print and I love giving myself permission to try different papers. In the end I'm a really tactile person so the papers make me really happy. There's something really satisfying about taking out the clamshell box that contains the finished prints and going through them or sharing them with someone. I think you would love it too. Come to Minnesota to visit and we'll have a printing festival.

    ReplyDelete