Monday, October 24, 2011

100 Prints Project #17 - Memories of Grandma


This was taken at the Marshall County Fair in Warren, MN. While other workshop participants were out capturing kick butt images of people, I was hiding in the old settler's village hoping no one would notice me. I came across this scene in the replica of an old farmhouse and it made me think of my paternal grandmother who is now 101 years young. She was a proficient artist with dough and made bread and other delicious things, including caramel rolls the size of your head that would make you cry when you took the first bite. I think my maternal grandmother, Grandma Rehkamp, was a talented bread maker as well, but I didn't spend as much time with her in the kitchen as I did with Grandma Nett. The other day I was going through some boxes in the basement and came across a notebook from the last time we baked bread together and she tried her best to pass on her dough recipe to me. Maybe after all of these years I can muster enough courage to try it. While searching my film contact sheets this one touched me and made me think of simpler days and the smell of egg coffee, freshly baked bread and ultimately home. So this is a small tribute to the family I love and miss so much.

5 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Love the soft lighting. What a wonderful memory to treasure. I love it when you share little bits of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this image invokes so many wonderful memories for you. I say go for it and try that bread recipe. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so happily nostalgic. So many memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm... you really do have a way with light. Love the way it plays off different shapes here.

    ReplyDelete