Thursday, July 7, 2011

What a friend we have...

Took my camera to church on Sunday morning to take photos of my nephew who was going to be an altar server for the first time.  At the end of the Mass I wandered around a little bit and ended up on the altar.  This cross has been hanging in the church since I first started going there 24 years ago, but I don't think I really noticed it much because it's all wood and normally hangs against a wood wall so it doesn't stand out much.  Sunday morning it did and I captured this version.  I did major burning around the edges to give it a vignette effect.  What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. I like it and the vignette is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa Van Heel MathreJuly 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM

    Soooo Fantastic. I love the beauty and grace in this! Magnificent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the angle this shot is taken from. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is soooo sooo good to see you post a photograph!!!!

    I agree with Kathryn, your point of view for this image is really effective. It places you, quite literally, at the foot of the cross.

    The lighting is effective too. I tend to think it's important to be able to see the stark details in the carving... Jesus' ribs, the branches on his head and the folds of cloth.

    The vignetting works well, directing the eye to the subject.

    I'm sure (like there was any doubt lol) that I would have been heavy handed with the contrast. I really appreciate your more restrained approach. It is just exactly enough.

    Yay! (and more please :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very moving picture Jane. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete