Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

When I was a little girl, I never understood why my mom worried so much about where I was or what I was doing or why I couldn't wander through my hometown after dark, especially across the railroad tracks. As a mother to be, I still couldn't understand why my mom would still worry about me even though I was 36 years old. Then it happened - they handed me my newborn daughter and I was overwhelmed with a sense of responsibility and clear understanding of why my mother would worry about me. Just like my daughter would always be my baby, I would always be hers too. Tears filled my eyes then as I thought back to all of the times I made her worry needlessly because I was careless with my words or defiant. The tears still fill my eyes today as I think back on all of the sacrifices she made for me and my siblings and how her steadfast love has sustained us through life's highest highs and lowest lows. My mother is without a doubt the most remarkable woman I have ever met and I feel so lucky to have her in my life. She's a constant source of inspiration and strength - and tough love when I need it most. As I watch my 14 year old daughter grow up way too fast, my daughter also struggles to understand why I worry about her so much even though she is a teenager now. I know that she won't understand my worry until her first born is handed to her too and I'm okay with that. Happy Mother's Day to my mom and to all of the mothers out there. Thank you for holding us all together. You are much loved.

4 comments:

  1. Thats a serene sleep..aahh Cute.. I like the comment you posted on this pic.. Bet none can substitute for the love,support and sacrifice from Mom..

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. Happy Mothers Day to both you and your mom. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story. I love this picture, it's so precious. You are a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lisa Van Heel MathreMay 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM

    Your words are as beautiful as your images. Loved everything about this!

    ReplyDelete