Monday, February 21, 2011

Open

Back to my black and white roots for the next few posts I think. This was taken in a little toy store in Stockholm, Wisconsin using my film camera. I've scanned a lot of my black and white negatives and have spent hours in Photoshop removing scratches and dust spots. I guess the good news about Photoshop is you only have to do that once and then you have a clean digital file, but I really miss the wet darkroom - the smell of fixer, the sound of the revolving black door as folks went in and out and the miracle of putting a blank piece of paper into what looked like a tray of water and watching the image appear like magic. I wish you could see how this one looks in a gelatin silver print. If you're ever in my neighborhood, stop in and take a look at that version along with many others that are languishing in plastic bins in my basement. I'll put on a pot of coffee or tea and you can go on a treasure hunt.

5 comments:

  1. I love this one . . . you really should try selling some of your prints, I think you'd do really well.

    Having problems with my Canon Rebel XT (auto focus issues) so thinking of upgrading to a Canon 60D, it's a big purchase though so I'm hesitating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one too. I also think you should be selling your work. This would look really cool hanging in your kitchen.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. So glad you're starting to post some of your B&W classics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa Van Heel MathreFebruary 21, 2011 at 2:11 PM

    I love this and loved your words. I used to have my own darkroom and miss the art of processing all of my own work.
    Fantastic tones....Fantastic image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, I'd love to talk with you more about this sometime. I've been using a vintage film camera for a couple weeks. It's been 25 years (or more *ahem*) since I shot film and had access to a dark room in my university residence basement. The learning curve is steep, but I'm loving it.

    I'll take you up on that basement treasure hunt one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete