Monday, February 14, 2011

Lessons learned from outside my comfort zone

Last week was a big week for me photographically. My vocal instructor, Kenny Kiser, puts on a variety show every month. Kenny allowed me to take photos at the rehearsals this week for him to maybe use on the show's website. On top of that, after rehearsal on Thursday night he was going to perform in an upcoming music video by a great singer and performer named Sean Ensign. He got the okay for me to hang out there and take photos while the video shoot was going on. Those of you that know me and know that I am not a landscape photographer, also know that I am not a people photographer - so you know this journey was a big old trip outside of my comfort zone.

The rehearsals for the Kenny Kiser show went well and the performers were very kind and ignored me. It was great and I became less self-conscious as the rehearsals went on. Sean Ensign and his team were very nice to me and generous with letting me get in the way during the video shoot. It was an awesome experience.

There were lots of lessons learned about shooting in challenging lighting conditions, shooting at ISO 6400, shooting subjects that didn't stand still and hand holding a long, heavy lens. There are many things I'd do differently if given another opportunity that would make the images technically better. I also learned lessons about the generosity of artists and how it feels to be treated like a real photographer. And, probably most valuable of all, lessons about me on my creative journey. Here are a few of my favorites from behind the scenes of the making of the video. I hope you enjoy them even a little bit as much as I enjoyed making them.





Please check out The Kenny Kiser Show. It's an awesome production with a great variety of artists that are extremely talented. The next show is on March 26th at the Old Arizona Theater. Maybe I will see you there.

7 comments:

  1. Some pretty great photographs from someone who doesn't photograph people! Totally impressed that you took the opportunity offered, even though you felt it was a stretch. Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are stunning, I could feel the confidence oozing out of you. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these photos have prize winning potential! The color and the softness is so beautiful. It really is time for you to pursue this on a professional level.

    Kathy More

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO PROUD of you. I know how hard it is try something this far out of your comfort zone. But performers are great at posing, so they are a great introduction to photographing people. I can relate to the challenges of shooting in theater lighting conditions. (Red gels are the bane of my existence) Just keep at it and you'll keep learning. BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its difficult to capture people's when they are moving and need to be taken at the right momment, i liked the 3rd shot here.. cant be any perfect than this.. you got the expressions with the soft shadows.. awesome Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I really do appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa Van Heel MathreFebruary 15, 2011 at 7:22 AM

    These are fantastic. I have never shot at an ISO 6400. Wow ~ very cool! Incredible work. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete